Recently I’ve been migrating my old Blogger content to WordPress. I’ve been considering this ever since Blogger announced it’s new layout / format which required hosting the blog on their servers. Finally I found the energy to tackle the beast but quickly hit my first obstacle- how to import the old Blogger posts.
If you haven’t already, you must be using New Blogger and a Google Account on Blogger. If you are still using Old Blogger, the importer will not work. – http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content
Importing from my old Atom or RSS feeds didn’t work.
Importing from a Blogger export file didn’t work either.
Finally I found a solution which worked for the most part.
- I opened a new blog in Blogger and marked it private in the blog settings.
- I took the export file from my old blog and imported it into the new blog, converting all the posts to the new Blogger format.
- I pointed the WordPress import tool at the new blog and imported all the content- Voila
I can’t say it worked perfectly:
- The import tool failed to import all the posts so I had to run it several times. Unfortunately this seemed to duplicate all the comments. Thankfully it didn’t duplicate the posts. I cleaned up the comments using the WP Ajax Edit Comments plugin.
- Another issue was that all the tags I had in Blogger turned into WordPress categories. I converted them back to tags using the Categories and Tags Converter- one of the standard Import Tools.
I still have some issues, for example the lack of excerpts for the posts but all in all I’m very happy with how easy the switch has been so far.